Sunday, September 07, 2008

Saugatuck Reflection by Mac Sinclair

This reflection was written by Mac Sinclair, who participated in the Senior High WorkCamp to Presbyterian Camps in Saugatuck, MI. He delivered this at our WorkCamp Vespers worship service in August.

Good evening, my name is Mac Sinclair. I was asked to talk about what I learned on the work trip to Saugatuck, Michigan. Some of what I have learned has been through personal realizations and some has been figuring out things between me and my fellow workers.

I have found a new and stronger bond between myself and God by reading the daily scripture readings as a group. I knew that Pastor Vest chose every scripture for a specific reason so every time I read these scriptures I tried to learn a new lesson.

One of these lessons was to not abuse the gifts that God gives us. There is a great example in the bible in second kings second chapter where Elisha asks for a double share of Elijah's spirit when he was taken to heaven. Elijah says that this is a hard favor that he has asked, but it would be done if Elisha watched Elijah go into heaven. So when the fiery chariot took Elijah into heaven, Elisha watched on. When the event was over Elisha took Elijah's mantle and put it on himself. He was then granted his wish. He was granted the powers of a prophet.

He did some good like when men of the city of Jericho were concerned that the water carried death and miscarriage. He cured the water by throwing a bowl of salt in and saying "thus says the lord, I have made this water wholesome; henceforth neither death nor miscarriage shall come from it". But Elisha also misused gods gifts

When he goes to bethel fifty children jeer at him saying go "up baldhead, go up baldhead". So he cursed them in the name of the lord and once he did that two she-bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the little children. Elisha misused his powers and as a result 42 people were dead.

I know that not all of us have the powers of a prophet so we can't curse people in the name of the lord and kill them, but we can do physical and emotional damage to other people. So as a result of this trip I have decided to take my powers of strength and love and use them in a way that is helpful to other people as I did in this mission trip.

As I said before I also learned things about my fellow workers. I've made new friendships as well as strengthen some with old friends. I've learned that some are moving or going to college and some are going to different schools. I've had many laughs and fun times with all the people involved and as a result of all these experiences ive become a better person because all of these people have touched my life in a different way and I hope they have learned as much from me as I have learned from then.

Thank you and good night!!!!!

No comments: