Saturday, September 13, 2008

New Orleans Reflection by Claudia Carlucci

Before the New Orleans work trip I was pretty nervous because I didn't really know what to expect. I didn't know many of the kids who were going on the trip and I didn't know what to expect of New Orleans. Although I was really nervous, once we got on the train everything seemed to get better. All of the kids and adults were really welcoming and really nice and I started to get more and more excited for the trip. This trip was a completely new experience for me. I had never gone out of state to help out others who really needed it, and it was a great feeling. I was so happy that I was a part of this trip and able to help people in need. It really shocked me how damaged the city still is even after three years. Many houses still needed a lot of fixing up and many neighborhoods weren't in good condition. It made me realize how lucky I really am. Our city isn't perfect but we are so privileged to have some of the things we take for granted every day such as our homes. One of my favorite parts about this trip was being able to speak with the owner of the house I was working in. Anyone can get a story of what the people of New Orleans went through from the media but you can never really be sure what is true and what is false. Actually being able to speak to a person who lived through the storm and to hear their stories is something that is really unique and special and I am so grateful that I was able to do that. This trip has definitely taught me to be more grateful of the things I have because you never know when they will be gone. Every day I get to relax in my home and many people in New Orleans had their houses completely ruined from the storm and some people still do not have those houses replaced even after three years. It was really sad to see how neglected the city has been over the years but It was an incredible, once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget and I am so grateful l was able to be a part of this trip.

No comments: