Monday, September 15, 2008

New Orleans Reflection by Erika Force

The most anticipated part of my summer for the past two years has always been the Senior High Work Camp. I hear some of my other friends talking about church in a dreading way, however, for me it is the complete opposite. Church has introduced me to lifelong friends, numerous memorable moments, and of course, night crossing. However, the trip wasn't always fun and games. I remember hearing about Hurricane Katrina and the destruction of New Orleans on the news and on numerous documentaries we watched in school. Coming down to Louisiana really put a whole new perspective on the hurricane. We were able to see with our own eyes the damage it caused, both physically and emotionally. The owners of the houses we were rebuilding were so grateful and some even stayed and helped us, which showed their true determination and hope that New Orleans will one day be what it used to be. We were also extremely determi ned through the course of the trip, whether it was working hard to finish sanding in time before it started to rain or Jonathon trying to beat a twelve year old at jumping over a garbage can, we all exceeded others and our own expectations, including Jonathon.

One thing I will never forget is our tour through some extremely damaged neighborhoods of the city. On each house was an "X" that displayed that the house had been searched. On one side of the "X" was the date it was searched and on the other side was a number, how many people were found inside. As we were driving by, I managed to see a house that was spray painted with the number eight. That really hit me. Although eight is such a small number compared to the thousands that lost their lives, when the number is put into a smaller perspective, it really makes one think about those eight individuals who lived their own lives and all the people that their deaths affected.

This trip especially has shown us how we are able to stick together through some crazy times. Although being stuck in the middle of the nowhere for hours on a broken train, suffering through frozen microwavable hamburgers, almost being hit by a tornado, and getting showered on by kool aid sounds miserable, these are definitely stories I will be able to tell for years. I guess Jeff's and my wish came true, but I'm sure that others will agree with me when I say that I'm glad our trip was an extra twenty hours.

No comments: