Thursday, September 11, 2008

New Orleans Reflection by Bridgette Fox

An experience in New Orleans, Louisiana is like no other experience in the world. This past July 26th to August 3rd, New Orleans brought many new courses to be traveled over by the Senior Highs of Fourth Presbyterian Church. Hurricane Katrina brought tragedy to many people in New Orleans. Fourth Church traveled down to Louisiana to help those people who still do not have a home to live in. Thirty teenagers were able to view and understand the damage Hurricane Katrina brought in 2005.

I had the best time of my life in New Orleans. Between bonding with the Senior High Group of Fourth Church to building houses and churches for the less fortunate of New Orleans. The difference we made in one week was surprisingly very noticeable. I felt good about what we did there because we made a difference and everything we did was greatly appreciated. I learned how to put up drywall, install insulation, put up ceiling, and build a shed. I had so much fun accomplishing all of those tasks. I'm so glad I learned all of these new things because I have a new respect for my life because I realize how hard it is to live like that. Also, I realize that being a construction worker is one of the hardest and most painful jobs out there. There are so many details that have to be exactly right. Although everything has to be perfect and that is difficult, in the end it is all worth seeing the difference you made.

Making breakfast and lunch for thirty-three people was so difficult but so much fun. I had an amazing time cooking for everybody. When I was cooking with my meal crew, I had a great time bonding with everyone. It was so much fun to see how everything would turn out. The baseball game, night crossing, water balloon fight, French quarter, and the train/bus rides there and back are unforgettable. I am so glad I had the chance to come to New Orleans and be part of the Senior High group of Fourth Church. Thank you so much for having me in New Orleans. I had an amazing time.

No comments: