Thursday, September 18, 2008

New Orleans Reflection by Chelsea Bumpus

This reflection was written by Chelsea Bumpus, who participated in the Senior High WorkCamp to New Orleans. She delivered this at our WorkCamp Vespers worship service in August.

If I had to describe my experience in New Orleans in one word, it would have to be incredible. We experienced so much together as a group, from hours of putting up insulation to a half day of sweeping. I think all these hours and days made us closer a group. We learned new facts about each other everyday, and our many laughs made our work go by so much faster. Our group was also able to visit the lower ninth ward. It was unbelievable how much repair was still needed. The streets look deserted, and the houses were destroyed. Some homes were leaning to one side, and others had no roof. The sidewalks still had broken glass from shattered windows and the grass had grown so tall it was almost covering some houses. It was truly amazing to see the neglect that part of New Orleans had received. I'm so thankful I was able to be a part of that restoration. Even though we had an incredibly long return to Chicago, the day after I was wishing I was back in New Orleans. We had such a great time just hanging out with friends, laughing, singing, and of course working to help the people who were devastated by Katrina.

No comments: