Saturday, January 19, 2008

Hairspray

So I finally watched the movie version of the hit musical, Hairspray. I had heard good things about it, including a rave review from my buddy Josh Patty, but I must admit that I didn't necessarily expect a whole lot. Boy, was I wrong. This movie is great!

The music is fantastic and a lot of fun. The cast is incredible. I didn't think I would care for John Travolta as Edna, but he really pulled it off well. The entire film is bright and energetic. It is the epitome of that old description, "a feel good movie".

I have never seen the original John Water's version, so I didn't really know what the story was about. Beyond all the campiness (which is half the fun), I was surprised to discover a story about serious issues.

At the heart of this film are themes of acceptance and equality. Ultimately, this is a movie about social justice. Tracy is on a mission to convince others that we should accept all people for who they are, regardless of how they look. Prejudices about appearance and race are confronted head on.

But this is not a preachy or moralizing movie. The message is delivered in the midst of all the singing and dancing fun in such a way that it doesn't beat you over the head. In fact, I sometimes found myself caught off guard with the realization that this movie is really about something.

If you haven't seen Hairspray, go out and get it now. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: