Friday, February 09, 2007

Walking Away From Jesus

This is a devotion I wrote for Fourth Church's daily devotions. It came out yesterday. This passage has haunted me for years...I'm sure you'll hear me talk about it again.

Scripture Reading: Mark 10:17–31

Reflection
This passage is one of the most disturbing in all of scripture for me. I find it disturbing not because I disagree with what Jesus is teaching, but because I see myself in this rich man. He’s done everything his religious tradition counsels him to do, yet he still feels like there is something missing in his life. In one of the most gut-wrenching scenes in the Bible, when Jesus tells him what it will take to make that next step, all he can do is turn around and walk away.

How easy it is for us to go through the motions of church life without ever having a truly transforming and life-changing encounter with God. How easy it is to be so involved yet still feel so empty. I often wonder if Bono had this story in mind when he wrote the lyrics to the classic U2 song “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.”

This story reminds me that we all have things that we are unwilling to give up in order to follow God. Perhaps it is wealth, though I don’t think that the lesson of this story is limited to that alone. It could also be pride, success, fame, time, family, friendships, comfort, or a whole host of other stumbling blocks along the way to living the kind of life of service that Jesus modeled for us.

If we truly follow in Jesus’ footsteps, the gospel requires some degree of sacrifice. When I read this passage, this truth stares me square in the face, and I can’t escape the choice it lays before me. Will I be bold enough to follow Jesus, or will I too turn around and walk away?

Prayer
God, you challenge me today with this story of sincere longing and ultimate failure. Help me to not turn away in fear or pain, but to let these sacred words pull at my heart for a little while longer. Remind me that even though Jesus’ path is difficult, the destination is worth the struggle. Amen.

Written by
John Vest, Associate Pastor
jvest@fourthchurch.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

Its been awhile since I've talked with you... how have you been? I read your reflection and I think your being a little too hard on your self. Within that same passage it also says ‘For mortals it is impossible, but not for God; for God all things are possible.’ I think this shows us that God knows full well that we humans are not even capable of truly following Jesus' example (which is why he sent him in the first place!). Therefore, I think the more important question is what do you do with the gifts you are given? If you use your money to help people as Jesus commanded than why is it bad? Jesus told that man to sell his possessions because he valued them more than God, that was the reason he should sell them. When you look at it from this perspective it wasn't so much that Jesus was telling him he had to get rid of his possessions, he was telling him to get rid of anything that interfered with his relationship with God.
I don't feel that being a good Christian necessarily requires self sacrifice... only obedience. If God has called you to preach than that is what you should do. You should also remember that God wants us to be happy in this world and has blessed us with the physical possessions that we have. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the important thing is knowing God... a sacrifice is only required if something comes between you and that relationship. As long as God comes first in your life you will want to follow his plan for your life... and if your will and his are the same then you won't really be sacrificing anything at all, will you? :)

-Jeff

P.S. I like the bears tie!
(I meant this to be a facebook reply but it was too long)