Saturday, January 13, 2007

Fast Food Justice

So what can teenagers do to help fight poverty and injustice? How about not eating at Burger King, McDonald's, or Chipotle?

As it turns out, none of these fast food chains have been paying their tomato pickers fairly for years. You can read all about it here:

http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07029.htm

The Presbyterian Church (USA) is currently taking action to address this injustice. What part can we play?

Do we care enough about treating others fairly not to eat at our favorite places? Giving up Burger King or McDonald's might not be too hard. But what about Chipotle? I love that place! But if every tomato I eat in my giant burrito comes from exploiting someone for cheap labor, I'm not sure that's something I want to swallow.

No comments: